Experience Uptown: Outdoors
Don't be fooled into thinking that Uptown only caters to those seeking entertainment. Uptown includes prime Chicago lakefront and offers plenty of opportunities for those yearning for outdoor activities.
- Beat the crowds and the afternoon heat by getting an early start to your day at a Chicago institution, the 18 mile lakefront bike path. Don’t think that the bike path only suits those who are athletically inclined. While you can ride your bike, rollerblade, or run, you can also take a leisurely walk along the path or on the waterfront bulkheads, taking in the different views of the Chicago skyline and waterfront.
- Looking to work up a sweat? Montrose Beach is not only Chicago’s largest beach, but offers rental opportunities for paddleboats, kayaks, and sailboats http://www.kayakchicago.com/locations/montrose-beach/. Equipment for beach volleyball along with other beach sports can be rented or just come early and bring your own. Afterwards, what better way is there to cool off than by taking a refreshing dip in Lake Michigan! For more info, check out H2OFUN or KayakChicago.
- For the sportsman, another Chicago institution awaits at Montrose Harbor, Park Bait Shop. Pole rental, bait, tackle and tips from an experienced angler are available.
- For lunch, take advantage of Montrose’s newly constructed beachfront restaurant, The Dock. Leave the work week behind at this hidden oasis and enjoy a reasonably priced burger and drink. On the weekend, bring your own group and set up your favorite picnic fare in the parks adjacent to both the lake and Uptown.
- For the avid athlete, Uptown is home to many of the areas sports leagues. If a more laid back pace is more appealing, relax with your friends by playing a pick-up game of soccer, baseball, or ultimate frisbee at one of Montrose’s many athletic fields. In winter, don't forget Cricket Hill, a rare bit of topography amidst notoriously flat Chicago, perfect for sledding! Chicago Sport and Social (Click here for more info) and Chicago Metropolitan Sports Association (Click here for more info) are just two of the athletic organizations which cater to different crowds and skill levels.
- Looking for peace and quiet? Escape the hustle and bustle of urban life with the serenity of the Montrose Point Bird Sanctuary, aka, the "Magic Hedge". Experienced bird watchers know that you can observe over 300 migratory birds at this 15-acre treasure nestled along the busy lakefront. Click here for more info.
- When night settles in, why hang up your walking shoes? Instead, head into the heart of Uptown where you can take a culinary tour of the world at any of the outstanding restaurants in the area. Options can lead you to Africa, India, Europe, the Americas or the Orient. The area surrounding W Argyle and North Broadway is also well known for the concentration of restaurants that bring the cuisine of Mainland Southeast Asia to Chicago.